Taking a moment to answer an ask from j0bbernowl (I’m sorry, I tried to answer privately but I couldn’t get the photos to work!). She asked:
Hey there! I’m looking to cosplay Batwoman at DragonCon this year, but I’m stumped on the mask. Would you mind explaining how you made yours? It’s perfect! Thanks so much!
Thank you for saying so! I’ll do my best to answer, but I’m not sure how much help I’ll be. I was genuinely convinced it wouldn’t work and was pretty despondent about the whole thing, so I didn’t take a lot of photos. But we can try! Here’s what I did:
1. Take a sheet of cheap, plain black craft foam
2. Pin it to a styrofoam wig head, right in the eyes (ouch). Try to find a wig head that’s decently shaped - mine has a crooked nose that caused me no end of pain!
3. Add more pins to curve the foam around the head. Be careful not to push the pins in too far, as they’ll leave pockmarks in the foam when pushed all the way in.
4. Heat the foam. I used a blow heater. Hair dryers, or even the heat from a stove, will work just as well.
5. Literally just use your fingers to squish the foam. This is the part I honestly didn’t think would work, but it’s magic. As long as the foam is warm, you can basically do whatever you want to it.
6. Use pins to re-enforce the shapes while the foam cools (they can hold the squished bits exactly where you left them if, for example, you put a pin above and below).
7. Once cooled, cut the shape and the eyeholes. Helps to use an exacto knife/stanley knife for the eyeholes.
8. Cover in 4-5 layers of mod podge.
9. Spray with two coats of matte black spray paint.
If I did it again, I’d probably cut the mask shape beforehand so it was actually properly symmetrical, ahahaha. Like I said, I didn’t think it’d actually work, so I didn’t bother this time!
I wanted to be able to make normal eye contact with people at the con, so I didn’t put material over the eyeholes. Instead I painted my eyelids white, edged in black. That seemed to work okay (you can see it over on the original post). :)
Hope this helps!
PS. Because I forgot to say: taped it to my face with Hollywood tape (that double-sided stuff you use to make sure your shirt stays in place). <3